PTCIJ’s Natural Resource and Extractives Programme (NAREP) is pleased to invite journalists to apply for a virtual around Nigeria’s Natural Resource and Extractive Sector Reporting in Nigeria.
NAREP aims to strengthen the capacity of media and civil society to demand transparency and accountability in the natural resource and extractive sector by enhancing media and civil society collaboration in the reporting of activities in the industry. It seeks to highlight issues, and help set the agenda for the government in designing strategies for revenue diversification by looking beyond oil. The training will focus on the following tracks:
- Oil and Gas (issues around stabilization mechanism, subsidy/under-recovery, legislation, NNPC’s recently published audited, etc.)
- Solid Minerals (diversification options, illegal mining, economic potentials, etc.)
- Fishery, Marine and Water resources (diversification options, piracy, insecurity in the Gulf of Guinea, illegal unreported and unregulated fishing, etc.)
- Forest Resources (economic potentials, diversification options, deforestation, etc.)
- Climate Reporting (climate literacy, extreme weather conditions and sea-level rise, flooding, desertification, etc.)
Journalists who are admitted into the training will be trained virtually on the program expectations and will be eligible to pitch a story idea that will be funded by PTCIJ. Selected journalists will be mentored for three months after the training for effective execution of approved story ideas.
If you are applying, it is expected that you already have a story idea that is worth executing, it is advised that you submit your planned pitch on the call for application.
The deadline for submission has been extended to Sunday, 9th August 2020.
Please note the following guidelines:
- Pitches to be submitted alongside the application form must be centred around any of the five identified tracks.
- Applicants must have relevant experience in investigative reporting, data or policy analysis.
- Female journalists are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Click here to apply.
PS: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.